When Columbia, South Carolina firefighters found the unresponsive feline amidst the burning house, they didn’t hesitate.
They whisked Soldier outdoors and began chest compressions and CPR using an oxygen kit specifically for animals.
The unit is called the Wagn’N O2 Fur Life, and was donated to the fire department by members of the community.
The Fire Chief says his firefighters take life-saving very seriously, whether they’re saving a person or a pet.
The Wagn’N O2 Fur Life has been used several times already to save our hairy loved-ones. If you’re interested in donating to the Wagn’N 02 Fur Life fund, visit www.petoxygenmasks.org and selecting the Columbia Fire Department.
Children are attracted to the water like a magnet to the North Pole, and sadly, summer time gives rise to many unnecessary drowning deaths.
Besides always making sure your child can swim, and wears a life vest, knowing CPR can reverse a horrible accident.
Last week, a little boy was found in a retention pond. He had no pulse. Volunteer fire fighters performed CPR until paramedics arrived, and the boy regained a pulse by the time he reached the hospital.
This was a happy ending, but that’s not always the case.
Children can drown in inches of water, so please, always watch your babies around the water. And learn CPR.
If you know how to perform CPR on a child and an adult, kudos to you. Really. You are doing a great service to your friends, family, and certain strangers who might benefit from your skills. But, have you ever thought of what you would do in case of a pet emergency?
A paramedic, Eric Roth, has written a book about K9 emergency and first aid called K9 Medic, How to Save Your Dog’s Life During an Emergency. Although it might not be something you think about, being prepared for ANY kind of an emergency will put you at better odds of saving a life, human or not.
The book talks about various of aspects of emergency care, from CPR to removing a stinger from a pet’s skin/paws (using a credit card). Roth was inspired to write this book after hearing a story about a young girl with a severe peanut allergy saving the life of her “allergy alert” dog when it severed an artery.
Roth notes that one aspect of emergency care that is underrated is the ability to stay calm. This is applicable for a pet owner whose pet has been severely injured, but also for any person in the same situation when a loved one is in an emergency.
For more information,